Friday, November 09, 2007

Fusion Fun For OpenWorld

In the whirlwind of last-minute preparations for OpenWorld, I’ve had some real “fun” this week from my involvement in Oracle Fusion. The result is that I have good news and bad news. Let’s talk about the good news first, then move on to the bad news.

The Good News

The good news is actually relates to the recent organizational changes at Oracle. With Thomas Kurian taking over all Fusion development, Oracle Apps customers now have a chance to hear about leveraging Fusion technology directly from the man in charge. Thomas is presenting Session S292719, titled “Getting Value from Oracle Fusion Technology with Oracle E-Business Suite, PeopleSoft, Siebel and JD Edwards Applications Today”. As I understand it, the gist of the discussion will be focused on leveraging Fusion Middleware with Oracle Applications. As an apps customer, I’d like to hear what the head guy has in mind, so I plan to be there.

The Bad News

Now for the bad news. I received word Friday morning that Nadia Bendjedou, Steven Chan and Rob Conden will not be participating in the OAUG Fusion Council Panel on Sunday afternoon. The only Oracle participant will be Steve Miranda. With all due respect to Steve, I’m disappointed that the others will not be joining us. I think each of them has a unique perspective on the Fusion product line that would have been valuable for Oracle customers to hear. Unfortunately, (and this is strictly my perspective), it appears that Oracle has tightened up “the cone of silence” over communications regarding Fusion Applications – it’s my understanding that only certain Oracle executives will be authorized to speak about Fusion Apps at OpenWorld 2007. Personally, it’s not the way I would choose to build enthusiasm in my customer base for an upcoming product, but it’s not my choice to make…the folks at Oracle obviously have a different opinion. Because I wrote in earlier posts that Nadia, Steven and Rob would be participating, I felt it’s only fair to share this latest change. Knowing what I know of Steve Miranda, we’ll still have a great panel discussion. I just don’t think it will be as great as it could have been with the participation of Nadia, Steven and Rob.

No comments: