Saturday, January 05, 2008

2008

It seems to be the time of year when ever blogger who can still fog up a mirror puts out a list of predictions for the upcoming 12 months. The annual prognostication thing is not my cup of tea. In fact, I think the one sure way to get the universe around you laughing is to talk about what you think will happen next. Nevertheless, several of you have asked what I'm predicting or wishing for 2008. In response, what follows is my jumbled-up list of predictions and wishes. Just don't blame me if it doesn't turn out this way...

1. I'll get more use from Twitter before it goes away.

2. Oracle gets specific about the functionality in the first release of Fusion Applications sometime before they show up on my office desk in a shrink-wrapped box (or become available via download or whatever...you get the idea).

3. The basic concepts of social networking and collaborating build a strong value proposition that will be recognized by large enterprises.

4. Oracle Mix gets wide-spread acceptance and use in the Oracle user community.

5. The U.S. dollar recovers on the world currency market before capital investment flees and causes a dot-com economic hiccup.

6. I'll start moving from Microsoft Office to web-based apps (I'm getting sick of paying the MS upgrade fees for my home systems and I want better access to my work for both my collaborators and me).

7. People separate the service business model (you know, "whatever" as a service) from the fear of losing either control or jobs.

8. I'll finally break down and junk the clamshell phone for some type of smartphone.

9. There will be a significant increase in the number Oracle Apps Unlimited upgrades this year.

10. Squeezing the size and cost of end-user IT departments will be an even bigger issue as the U.S. and world economies begin to slow down.

1 comment:

Jake said...

Very nice. I especially like 1 and 4. Also, curious to get your thoughts on the Working Group.
Jake