Monday, July 30, 2012

Time For A Change

It's time for a change
I'm tired of that same ol same
The same ol words the same ol lines
The same ol tricks and the same ol rhymes

Days precious days

Roll in and out like waves
I got boards to bend I got planks to nail
I got charts to make I got seas to sail 

                 From Guy Clark's "Boats To Build"

Great tune there...covered by Jimmy Buffett, Alan Jackson and Jerry Jeff Walker.  Great description of my perspective these days. 

Been thinking quite a bit about the things I'm passionate about:  helping customers - being more of a trusted adviser than an IT consultant, bringing good people together and watching good things happen, adding value from the edges of a project, building great products - especially great products that make other products better.

My passion for the things I've been doing...things that are actually pretty similar to the ones listed above, but not quite the same...well, that passion and energy has really waned over the past six months or so.  Not really anybody's fault.  It's just that things and people change.  I'm no different.

So it's time for a change.  I'm leaving Innowave, a company full of very talented people I've come to love.  It's that love and respect for the people at Innowave that helped motivate me to leave.  Continuing when I don't have passion or energy for the work is unfair to both Innowave and me.  I'm honored to have work with such smart and special people, but it's time to move on.  I wish Innowave nothing but success.  They're a talented crew and they'll do just fine without me.

What am I doing next?  To be honest, I didn't know until recently.  I just knew things had to change.  Now I know the answer to that question and I'm excited about it, but it's probably not appropriate to say anything yet.  Suffice it to say that I'll still be up to my neck in Oracle applications and technology...got boats to build.  We'll talk about it in a few days.

So why am I sharing this story here?  In the hopes that it will help out others in the same situation.  Sometimes good people and good teams can grow in different directions.  Recognize it rather than fight it when it happens and do something about it!

8 comments:

Bob Rhubart said...

Floyd,

That's exciting news! Best of luck in the new gig. Please let me know where you land.

BTW: Will I see you at OOW12?

fteter said...

@Bob: Thanks for the good wishes. OOW12 - yup, we'll see each other...done deal!

Faun said...

Congrats, Floyd!

I am really happy for you.

Anonymous said...

hi floyd, i wish you all the luck! Are you going to option Z? lol. I miss our short train chats.

may the force be with you! (^0^)

carmela

Steve Bolotin said...

Good luck on your new job adventure

Dennis Howlett said...

@Floyd - good to hear you have the sense to know when you're time is done. So rare these days. Now...stop being a tease and tell all !! ;)

Vince Benz said...

Best of luck in your new venture.

Mohan Dutt said...

Best wishes for your new adventure!