Thursday, October 25, 2012

I'm Flattered

As I write this, I'm kind of flattered.  The back story...

I'm honored to be reviewing paper submissions for Collaborate 13 and KScope 13.  Done it before, liked it, and am honored to be doing so again.  My job is to review 1,300+ submissions and help pick the best.  It's a group effort, I'm not the only reviewer, but it's still a big job.  Because I like this stuff, I try to review all submissions as quickly as possible.

So imagine my surprise this morning when I came across a paper entitled "Nine Months With Fusion Applications Stories From The Trenches."  Hey, I'm thinking, that's my title (although I'm up into the 40 month range now)!  I've been making this presentation at various conferences for a couple of years!  Hmm, the abstract consists of a sub-set of material I've been presenting as well!

I guess imitation is the greatest form of flattery, so I should be flattered.  But I do think it takes a serious amount of brass to submit a plagiarized presentation to a conference for which I've submitted my own original version of the same presentation, as well as a conference that I'm known to attend.
Hoping for the opportunity to be in the audience for the plagiarized presentation if it's selected for the conference...should be fun...(insert evil laugh of anticipation here).

1 comment:

Debra Lilley said...

Once we had a paper submitted for UKOUG, looked good, best practices for R12 upgrade. I did ask the speaker from an SI to ensure it was a from the trenches approach. Then the day before he pulled out. As we were short of presenters i asked for his slides and agreed to present it on his behalf. Nadia Bendjedou and I read through the slides at dinner and she said this is my presentation from the last conference!!! We checked in our library and the words were identical, although he had added his company logo and some good graphics. the nerve, but it gets BETTER, Nadia was giving that same presentaion in the same room, immediatly before him. haha