Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Web Services: REST vs SOAP

I was in the middle of a discussion earlier today about service-based integration for Oracle HCM Cloud.  In that conversation, someone asked me why anyone would ever use SOAP over REST.  My answer was pretty lengthy but, when I was done, someone said I ought to share it on my blog. 

Well, here's the thing:  my thinking on the subject is not original.  I simply communicate fundamentals I learned elsewhere.  And I'm big on giving credit where credit is due.  So when asked about REST vs SOAP, I simply regurgitate the very best summary of REST vs SOAP that I've ever read.  That summary can be found here.  It's a little dated now, having been written in 2010, but it's still accurate.  Feel free to use it yourself.  But do take a moment every now and then to give credit where credit is due.


No comments: