Monday, September 30, 2013

EBS 12.2.2 - Here We Go On A Fresh Install

So, after careful consideration over the weekend in light of my utter lack of DBA skills, I've changed my plan for experimenting with Oracle E-Business Suite 12.2.2.  Having successfully run the upgrade from 12.1.2 to 12.2.2 (which is really an upgrade to 12.2 and a post-upgrade application of the 12.2.2 RUP), I've decided to take on a fresh install of EBS 12.2.2 (12.2 fresh install plus application of the EBS 12.2.2 RUP).  I'll be sharing detailed notes throughout, so figure on a series of blog posts here.

I'll be using a 500 GB external hard drive dedicated to an Oracle Linux 5.5 environment running on VMware.  Needless to say, I'll be doing the minimal install as a Vision instance.  Were I doing a full fresh install, I'd likely go for some beefier: 128GB Ram and a 1 TB disc.  Considering, however, that I'm only playing on my home test bed, I'll give this a go and see how it works.

I anticipate that my installed config will look like the following:

  •  6 GB memory for the database tier
  • 12 GB memory for the applications tier
  • Applications node file system 64 GB disc space
  • Vision database node file system 200 GB (this would only be about 90 GB in a fresh install with no data)
  • 25 GB disc space (dedicated tablespace) for online patching

Note that the memory for the database and applications tier will only support about 10 concurrent users.  I'd need boatloads more (closer to that 128 GB I mentioned) were I to support any size of enterprise environment.

BTW, my backup plan if my own test bed grinds to a halt is to try out the fresh install on AWS.  Odds are pretty good I'll wind up there, but I'm building up a justification/rationalization to buy one of those new Mac Pros when they come out later this year, so we'll start with my at-home test bed.

So, what's next?  I'll be checking Support Doc 1330701.1 – "Oracle E-Business Suite Installation and Upgrade Notes Release 12 (12.2) for Linux x86-64" to determine the required RPMs for the install.

More to follow...

No comments: